Almost 5 million dollars to spend in 2013 Mushroom Council on the promotion of mushrooms for US buyers. And there is no budget funds among the money. The Mushroom Council funding programs involving manufacturers and importers of mushrooms. In 2013, each sold in the US a pound (1 pound = 453,6g) fungi on these goals will spend half a cent.
The marketing plan for 2013 includes communication with consumers, education, interaction with public catering organizations, research and promotion in retail, evaluation of promotion and other programs.
Previously Americans believed mushrooms something that “does not hurt”, but today, thanks largely to the efforts of the Mushroom Council, US residents believe mushrooms indispensable component of their diet, introducing them to the list of products, distinguished by excellent taste, healthy and varied.
Is it possible to implement something similar in Ukraine? At the meetings, mushroom producers often discussed this issue and put forward proposals for joint efforts to promote fungi. One of the cornerstones of such discussions, as a rule, there is a question about the principles of contribution collection. Should they pay producers of mushrooms, or better to collect them with compost production, whether such contributions should be mandatory or may be paid on a voluntary basis, whether the contributions depend on the size of the farm. In addition, people are always interested in the question of which organization should accumulate contributions and the principles on which to dispose of the budget.
It is very important to use foreign experience when discussing such initiatives. One of the successful examples of joint efforts and means mushroom growers to develop their own market is the Mushroom Council activities. What is the Mushroom Council, as the forms of its budget, whether voluntary or mandatory payments as collected and what is spent – see later in this article.
The following information is only available to subscribers.
Mushroom Council (Mushroom Council, hereinafter – the Council), which the Russian language can be translated as “Mushroom Council,” it is not an association of producers, not a voluntary association, not a commercial venture and not a state institution. Mushroom Council is a symbiosis of state and private mushroom business, created as to help the latter, and for the solution of some state issues – employment, healthy food, ecology and others.
In 1990, the US Congress, it was decided (Mushroom Promotion, Research, And Consumer Information Act Of 1990), that:
-Mushrooms are an important staple food, important for the human diet;
– mushroom production plays an important role in the national economy;
– production of fungi useful for the environment because it uses a \ x waste;
– mushrooms must be of good quality, so that people have benefited from their use;
-Market expansion and fungi use cases is important for the prosperity of manufacturers and, as a consequence of the agricultural sector;
– Market expansion, financing and implementation of programs of promotion, research should be based on joint efforts;
In this regard, it was decided that it was necessary to create a body that will deal with mushroom market development, and will be financed by a contribution charged on mushrooms, which are produced in the country are imported. That body and became Mushroom Council. Mushroom Council’s mission is as follows:
– strengthening the mushroom industry places on the market;
– the maintenance and expansion of existing markets and the fungus forms its use;
– development of new markets and fungi use cases.
Drawing up and approval of the principles of the organization Mushroom Council activity was entrusted to the US Department of Agriculture, through its Minister (Secretary -. Eng), in cooperation with industry associations and other organizations, activity of which it could touch.
It was found that the Mushroom Council – is a board consisting of not less than 4 and not more than 9 people, whose candidacies submitted by manufacturers and importers of mushrooms, and approved by the Minister. Nominations from the mushroom growers are determined on a regional basis, and their number depends on the amount of mushrooms, which is produced by the region. All importers are one “virtual” area, and have the right to be represented on the board, if the country is imported not less than 50 million. Pounds (22.6 ths. Tons) of mushrooms.
US territory was for this purpose is divided into three regions with the appropriate number of members Mushroom Council:
Region 1: All states, except Pennsylvania and California – 2 members;
Region 2: PA – 4 members;
Region 3: CA – 2 members;
Region 4: Importers – 1 board member (since then, when imports exceeded 50 million pounds.).
Once the division into regions is reviewed every five years. However, since the founding of the organization, significant changes in the regional structure of production in the United States of mushrooms did not happen and as a result, the regional composition remained unchanged.
The procedure and the election of members of the Mushroom Council is described in detail. In each region, the election is held by a postal questionnaire, but only candidates for the seat of the Council are determined on elections. Every manufacturer and importer shall have one vote. In the questionnaire indicate voting production and imports. As a result, for each region determined by a vote candidates for vacant positions on the Board, the number of which is twice the number of vacancies. Half of applicants selected on the basis of a simple majority of votes, the second half – by voting “volume” production / import. Choice of candidates by the Minister.
Board members are elected for three years, and may not hold office for more than two consecutive terms. Members of the Board shall perform their duties in the Council without payment, but they are compensated for the costs of doing business in the Council.
Mushroom Council has the following powers:
– Receive and evaluate and develop on their own program budgets, plans and projects to promote fungi, budgets, research and development, consumer research, and other programs. Make suggestions to the Ministry with the / x with respect to plans and programs;
-Employ staff who may be needed to determine its powers and responsibilities, set staff salaries;
– establish rules and standards for the exercise of its powers;
– to receive, investigate and report to the Ministry of violations of the provisions of the Council;
– Disseminate information among manufacturers, importers, industry organizations;
– Create committees and sub-committees of the Board members, including the Executive Committee, the rights and duties determined by the Board and approved by the Minister;
– Create committees that include not only members of the Council, and to bear the costs of attracting such chleov;
– Recommend to the Minister amendments to the charter Mushroom Council;
– With the approval of the Minister, enter into regional or national associations of mushroom producers or other treaty organizations on the development and implementation of the approved programs, and pay for their services. In this case, the Board may not enter into contracts with individual producers or importers with respect to research or promotion. If necessary, you can rent them the necessary facilities or equipment – again with the permission of the Minister, and when the prescribed conditions.
– Develop and propose for the approval of voluntary standards of quality mushrooms, if the Council deems the use of such standards useful.
The Council has the following duties:
– The Council shall meet at least once a year, and to elect among its members the Council of heads;
– Evaluate and develop programs to promote, research, consumer information, industry information, and offer them for approval to the Minister;
– Prepare and approve the annual budget;
– Keep a record of which must be provided to the Minister at any time on demand;
– Issue an annual public report, with an indication of the measures received and the money spent;
– Every year, audited by an independent company;
– Invite the minister at all meetings of the Council;
– serves as a mediator between the ministry on the one hand and any manufacturer or importer of the other;
– Work on the construction of effective, long-term and coordinated programs to promote, research, consumer information, industry information designed to enhance the mushroom industry, market position, maintain and market development of fungi.
Program to promote, research, consumer information, industry information.
The Council should evaluate and develop projects on their own initiative, and then to approve all the plans of the Minister. Only approved Minister of projects and plans can be implemented.
All programs apply only to fresh mushrooms. Those. programs can be focused on the use of fresh mushrooms for processing, but can not promote themselves processed products.
Each conductive program is periodically evaluated. If the Council concludes that the program is not achieving its objectives, the program can be interrupted by the Council’s decision.
No programs can not use names of specific manufacturers, brands, regions names. Also, no program should prevent unfair or deceptive acts in terms of quality, cost, or use any other competing product.
In one of the most interesting for the Ukrainian and Russian mushroom points, we note some of the features, some of which will be surprising to many.
- Contributions – is actually a tax. Contributions are paid without fail, and their payment controlled by the government;
- Contributions are not technically paying manufacturers and wholesalers. It is their responsibility to accounting and payment of fees.
- Contributions are also paid on all imported into the country of mushrooms. Payment is made at the border crossing;
- If the manufacturer is marketing yourself (ie delivery to the final retail), then it will pay fees;
- The contribution is determined every year, but can not exceed 1 cent per 1 pound fungus;
- The Board may change the size of the contribution at any time, including middle of the year, but within this limit;
- Companies – suppliers of resources, including compost production, suppliers of mycelium, and others – in the formation of the participation fee will not take;
- Companies engaged in the processing and sale of processed mushroom, do not participate in the payment of contributions;
- Contributions are exempt from paying the producers of organic mushrooms;
- Contributions are paid monthly;
- Companies that produce less than 500 thousand. Pounds of mushrooms per year (226 tons), do not pay contributions;
- Contributions are not paid for mushrooms, which are exported to the US border;
- Contributions are not paid for mushrooms, which are produced or imported for processing.
Each manufacturer fungus independently delivering their goods to consumers, and each wholesaler, manufacturer collects mushrooms for delivery to consumers (then under the consumer has the ultimate view of retail), is obliged to report monthly to the Council on the quantities sold of the fungus. The Council and the Ministry with / x can check the correctness of accounting, calculation and payment of contributions.
There is a list of exceptions to the base of taxation of contributions, which in particular includes a mushroom produced by small producers exported mushroom, organic produce.